Sunday, September 18, 2011

Traveling~~Our other life

Wow! I haven't written anything on my blog for a LONG time! When I started this blog, I really wanted to make it a blog all about our travels. Steve & I have done many hikes this summer. We have been averaging about 2 hikes a week. I have been posting many of my pictures on Facebook, but that means only my Facebook friends see all the pictures.

We have been traveling and using the motorhome more this summer. We have always enjoyed spending time in the motorhome. This trip we have been in Ridgway State Park and then on to stay at McPhee reservoir by Dolores, CO. I always forget how much I like this part of Colorado. For those of you who didn't know me "back then", I lived in Durango, CO from 1976-1985. I still love SW Colorado. The San Juan Mountains, the La Platas, and ALL the hiking around Cortez, Dolores, Durango and Mancos! We love the mountain hikes, but we also love the desert hiking. This trip we have spent time hiking in the Canyons of the Ancients National Monument, west of Cortez.

The weather has been a little "dicey" for most of this trip. Today, finally, we saw blue sky and sunshine and didn't get rained on. Yesterday, Saturday, we started to hike up Sand Canyon, west of Cortez, and got caught in quite a rainstorm! Luckily, we were above the canyon, so didn't get caught in a flashflood! Lots of rain, lightening and thunder, though. We decided to head west to Hovenweep National Monument and ended up doing some shorter hikes out to the ruins! So beautiful! There are not many people out here right now, so we are enjoying some very beautiful hikes and are sometimes the only ones on the trail. Today we hiked down Sand Canyon from the North and went about 10.5 miles round trip. The weather was beautiful, blue sky, sunny and warm!

I am going to try and post some pictures of this trip. The first pictures are in Ridgway and then I will post some of around Dolores.

Life is good! Steve says this is our "other" life. We are loving the traveling, hiking, biking, and exploring the Four Corners area of Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico! Next month we are backpacking in Paria Canyon in Arizona!


No comments:

Post a Comment