Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor day hike to Mitchell and Blue Lakes

OK.....
I have decided that if I am really going to continue to do this blog, I need to write more often than every 7 months.  I guess I am going to have to try again, and do a much better job of writing about our adventures.

As many of you know, I post most of my pictures of all of our hikes and adventures on facebook.  That is fine for friends and family who are on facebook, but I still have friends who want to read about our hikes, who do not see the pictures on facebook.

Today, Labor Day, Steve & I decided to go up to the Brainard Lake area and we hiked to Mitchell and Blue lakes.  We saw some aspen beginning to turn yellow as we were driving up to the trail head.  When we arrived at Brainard lake, we could feel Fall in the air.  We commented that ALL the hikes we have done this summer, have been very warm and very dry.  It was noticeably cooler as we hiked today.  Bushes were turning red and yellow and the tundra definitely had started changing colors. 

We saw many people on the trail.  Steve & I love to hike alone.  For many years, we tried (successfully) to find trails where we wouldn't see any other people.  Today, my attitude was totally different.  It really made me happy to see SO many people out on the trail, hiking with their dogs, their babies, their young children.  We saw every age, from 6 week old babies in snugglies, to others much older than we are.  It was great!

I must say, I can't believe summer is almost over.  We have had an incredible summer.  We have traveled and spent time in Utah, Colorado and Arizona.  We continue to hike and bike as much as we can.  Our newest outdoor activity is backpacking.  We have done two wonderful backpacks this year.  The first trip was in the Grand Canyon in May.  In  June, we backpacked in Arizona, again, with Stefan and Rachael.  I think we have them "hooked", too!

Our next trip is back to Lake City, Colorado and then on to Ridgway.  We still love to go to central and southwest Colorado, as often as we can.

October we will be headed to Utah and Arizona.  We plan to do another backpacking trip in October to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary!  Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment